Summary – Session 1 – Day 1 The 5th day of Flamerule 1490 DR
Our heroes were in the city of Neverwinter when their dwarf patron and friend, Gundren Rockseeker, hired them to escort a wagon to Phandalin. Gundren and his warrior companion, Sildar Hallwinter have gone ahead to tend to business. The characters will be paid 10gp each by the owner of Barthen’s Provisions when they deliver the wagon safely to the trading post.
All that you know about the delivery is that it is “something big” and that he was more than a little secretive about the delivery.
The party traveled for two days south on the High Road. Early on the third day, you turned east onto the Triboar trail. A few hours later you were ambushed by goblins along the road.
After you defeated the goblins you learned that the horses were those used by Gundren and Sildar and the hoirses appeared to be dead for about 1 day. You also found an empty map case.
Finding the goblin trail the party decided to follow the trail in hopes of rescuing Gundren and Sildar. At the end of the trail you come upon the lair of the goblins. After intense battle, the goblins and their leader Klarg the bugbear were defeated. Gundren was not in the lair, but you did rescue Sildar.
While in Cragmaw Hideout, the party captured a Goblin who gave you the following information:
• Fewer than 20 Goblins live in the lair.
• Their leader is a bugbear named Klarg. He answers to King Grol who lives in Cragmaw Castle.
• The Goblin gave a general direction of the castle as being 20 miles Northeast of the hideout.
• Klarg received a messenger from King Grol. The messenger told him that someone named the Black Spider was paying the Cragmaws to watch out for Gundren Rockseeker, capture him, and send him and anything he was carrying to King Grol in Cragmaw Castle.
When you rescued Sildar, he told you the following:
• The three Rockseeker brothers (Gundren, Tharden, and Nundro) recently located an entrance to the long lost Wave Echo cave, site of the mines of Phandelver’s Pact.
• Klarg the bugbear who leads this goblin band, had orders to ambush Gundren. Sildar heard from the goblins that the Black Spider sent word that the dwarf was to be brought to him. Sildar doesn’t know who or what the Black Spider is.
• Gundren had a map showing the secret location of the Wave Echo cave, but the goblins took it when they captured him. Sildar believes that Klarg sent the map and the dwarf to King Grol at Cragmaw castle. He doesn’t know where that might be, but suggest someone in Phandalin may know.
• Sildar’s contact in Phandalin was a human wizard named Iarno Albrek. However, two months ago, Sildar lost contact with him. He was headed to Phandalin to investigate himself.
In Klarg’s cave, you found the following:
• Captured stores belonging to Lionshield Coster in Phandalin.
• 600 cp, 110 sp, 2 potions of healing, and Jade Statuette of a frog (40 gp)
Sundown on the 8th day of Flamerule.